Our greatest goal is to give you the healthy, straight, and beautiful smile you’ve always wanted. We understand that choosing to receive orthodontic care is a big decision, and we respect your reasons for wanting to improve the way you look and feel.
Our practice will work with you every step of the way to make sure your orthodontic care is as rewarding as possible. We utilize the latest technology, and offer a variety of safe and gentle treatment options to give you the customized, individual care you deserve.
Treatment Steps: From the Beginning Straight to the End
Teeth will move over time under a constant steady pressure. During your customized treatment, regularly scheduled adjustments are made to your teeth as determined by your treatment plan. Our state-of-the-art mechanics cause very little discomfort as they move your teeth.
Here is an example of what you can expect from your overall orthodontic experience at OSGB. Keep in mind that no two patients are alike and every smile is different.
Your initial visit and courtesy examination.
Meet your doctor and treatment coordinator. Undergo a clinical evaluation to determine if it’s the right time for diagnostic records. If diagnostic records are recommended, they could consist of any of the following:
Cephalometric Digital Radiograph
A 2D image that enables an orthodontist to study your upper and lower jaws, and the growth of your jaws as it relates to your treatment.
Panoramic Digital Radiograph
A 2D image that allows the orthodontist to study bone structure, roots, and eruption progress of your teeth.
i-CAT® CBCT (Cone-Beam Computer-Assembled Tomography)
This is an advanced, 3D image. The CBCT image data enables us to generate both cephalometric and panoramic images.
The doctors review the diagnostic records to put together an individualized plan for your next appointment.
Your next appointment is a consultation with a treatment coordinator.
- Your diagnostic records are reviewed.
- Treatment options are discussed.
- Cost of treatment is presented.
- Insurance coverage and a payment plan are established (depending on credit history).
- You’re getting braces! Remember: growth, compliance and hygiene all contribute to your successful smile. Treatment varies from one patient to another and a variety of advances may be part of your customized treatment.
SureSmile®: A labial system, which is placed on the outside of teeth.
SureSmile QT: A lingual system, placed on the inside of teeth.
A Trios Scan is taken during your visit.
- A Trios Scan replaces the old method of taking impressions.
- The advantages of taking a digital impression are patient comfort, digital speed, and accuracy.
- A custom transfer tray is created.
Your follow-up visit three weeks later
- Brackets are bonded (glued) onto your teeth using the custom bracket tray.
- Initially, a heat-sensitive wire is placed in your brackets for leveling, aligning, and space closure.
- Your doctor will let you know when you’re ready for the SureSmile wire.
- An i-CAT CBCT scan is taken of you. The scan is used to create a 3D model of your teeth. The 3D model is used by the doctor to create your individualized treatment plan.
- Once your doctor finalizes your prescription, SureSmile’s robot bends your custom-shaped archwire according to your doctor’s treatment plan.
- We will have you return in six weeks and replace your initial wire with your SureSmile wire. When the wire is inserted, each tooth will move to the prescribed position.
- You visit OSGB every 8 to 10 weeks for adjustments until treatment is complete and your smile is ready.
BPA-free plastic aligners worn over teeth
- Impressions are taken during your visit.
- You return eight weeks later and are fitted with doctor-prescribed aligners.
- Aligners are changed every two weeks. Office visit timeframes are determined based on your specific needs.
Your customized plan includes regular office visits for treatment adjustments.
- May occur every 8 to 10 weeks
- Will include a hygiene check
- May modify SureSmile wire, or evaluate elastic wear
- Will replace ties or chain if necessary
- Progress photos may be taken
Your braces are coming off! And in far less time than if you had traditional, old-fashioned braces! Once your braces are removed, a scan will be taken for retainers.
Receive your retainers. Remember, retention is for life!
Initially, these need to be worn full time. The number of hours you’ll need to wear your removable retainer will be reduced over time. If your retainers feel tight, it’s probably a sign that you need to wear them more.
Fixed retainers are bonded (glued) to the back of the teeth.
Admit it … you kinda miss us. We miss you too! All kidding aside, we’ll have you come back in for some minor post-treatment monitoring.
- After the removal of your braces, OSGB will continue to monitor your retainer wear. Plus, we’ll keep an eye on your wisdom teeth and make any recommendations if needed.
Visiting our office about every eight weeks is an essential part of your orthodontic treatment. Our practice will work with you to make sure your appointments are as convenient as possible. When scheduling appointments, please let us know which days and times work best for you.
We understand that “life happens”! If you’re running late or need to reschedule, please let us know and we will do everything we can to accommodate you. When you’re ready to schedule your first appointment, contact our practice and our friendly scheduling coordinator will assist you. We’re looking forward to working with you.
Visiting the dentist during orthodontic treatment
It is vital that you continue to visit your family dentist once every six months for teeth cleanings and routine dental checkups, even during your orthodontic treatment. If extra dental care is needed, we will be happy to coordinate with your family dentist to make sure you receive the best possible care.